During sixteen years of working with mallet, chisel and wood, my eyes opened gradually to the majesty and the extraordinary beauty of wood. Through this amazing medium I pay tribute to the nobility of everyday life.
These sculptures, formed by hand, are witnesses to my evolution as an artist and human being. Through them I have serenely learned to comprehend and accept the different facets of life. Along the way, I walked arm-in-arm with the mother, daughter, beggar and the ascetic through turbulent and calm waters in their quests for justice and peace for humanity.
I am truly honored to be part of the art world and to use its language to crystalize moments in time.
Artist Resume – Summary
- The Claude Parsons Memorial Award, Jury of Awards: Claudia Seymour President Emeritus of the Salmagundi Club and Elizabeth Spencer Life Member of the Art Students League, The American Artists Professional League Inc., 86th Grand National Exhibit, Salmugundi Club, New York, NY
- Second Place, Juror: Landa King, Chair Department of Visual Arts Texas Lutheran University, New Braunfels Art League Gallery, Art in the Hills, New Braunfels, TX, 2014
- The 2014 Arts Enrichment Award, Seguin Commission on the Arts, Seguin, TX, 2014
- First Place Professional 3D, Inspire Fine Arts Center, Inspire’s on Fire Celebration, San Antonio, TX, 2013
- Honorable Mention, Juror: Professor Mary Visser, Southwestern University, Texas Society of Sculptors, 5th Georgetown Public Library Sculpture Show, Georgetown, TX, 2012
- Ann Griffith Ash Donor Award, Juror: Peter Trippi Editor of “Fine Art Connoisseur”, The San Antonio Art League and Museum, 82nd Annual Artists Exhibition, San Antonio, TX, 2012
- The American Artists Professional League Inc., 86th Grand National Exhibit, Salmugundi Club, New York, NY, November, 2014
- The Coleman Theatre, The Music, Poetry and Stories of Wood, supported in part by an award from the Mid-America Arts Alliance, the National Endowment for the Arts and the Oklahoma Arts Council, Miami, OK, June, 2014 (Solo Exhibition)
- Bihl Haus Arts, Only from the Heart…, San Antonio, TX, May-July, 2014 (Solo Exhibition)
- The George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, Marika, Austin, TX, January-April, 2010 (Solo Exhibition)
- Texas Lutheran University, Schuech Fine Arts Center, Marika Bordes: Inspiration-Celebration-Passion, Seguin, TX, January-February, 2009 (Solo Exhibition)
- Preston Contemporary Art Center, Fall Exhibition, Mesilla, NM, October-December, 2008
- Pen and Brush, 57th Annual Sculpture & Medallic Art Exhibition, New York, NY, March, 2003
Public and Private Commissions:
- Texas Lutheran University, Flying Leaves, Seguin, TX, 2014
- The City of Seguin, The Walnut Springs Park Bird Sculpture Sanctuary, Seguin, TX, 2012
- The Guadalupe Regional Medical Center, Maternitree, Seguin, TX, 2010
- Arts: The KLRN television program broadcasts an interview of Marika and her exhibit at the Bihl Haus Arts, San Antonio, TX, May 2014
- Marika Bordes and Dennis Martin, Marika The Path of a Sculptor, published by Marika Sculptures LLC, ISBN 978-0-9960735-0-9, printed in San Antonio, TX, 2014
- Sculpting from François Sanon, master wood sculptor, Pétion-Ville, Haiti, 1996-2001